google map
Bom Jesus Church
Category : Old Goa Churches
Location  : Old Goa
Large image

The church is dedicated to Bom Jesus meaning Good Jesus or Infant Jesus.Belonging to the Jesuit order this world heritage monument's construction started on 24th November  1594 and was consecrated on 15th May 1605.

 It is here the Sacred Relics of the body of St. Francis Xavier is kept. A co-founder of the Jesuit  order  the Saint while returning from Japan during his missionary work got ill and breathed his last at Sancian Island a Chinese province on 3rd Dec 1552.The body was brought to Goa on 16th March 1554 and later in 1613 transferred to the present site.

   The Coffin is made of silver and the tomb was carved by the well known 17th century Italian Sculptor Giovanni Battistta Fogini.The first exposition of the body for public viewing was in 1622.Since 1891 there have been regular expositions every 10 years,the last being in 2004.


Updates More +
location map of Bom Jesus Church

Related Links

» St.Augustine church and t...